"Lucky" a 'One Shot' by Dark Horse Comics - How was it?

 


So it's been a while since I read this but I did enjoy it a fair bit.

The stylization of the comic wasn't too, too bad. The art was cool and I enjoyed that a fair bit. It wasn't amazing like "Rogue" was, but it was definitely above average. However the "retro" look of the Marine's "space combat" suits was kind of goofy.

I really appreciated the following frame where the aliens are 'pocked' with bullet holes. It's gritty and cool and adds a sense of realism.


To be honest, what I really liked about this comic after having read so many Dark Horse comics based on the 'alien universe', was that the story was so short that there wasn't enough opportunity for it to just become this bizarre pile of trash or massive vehicle for some weird philosophy the writer holds to. We got in, we heard a quick story, we got out. Done.

And it was quite a plausible story too; a coward locking everyone else out so only he survives an alien infestation. Not exactly what I'm hoping for as I can't nor do I want to relate at all to such a character. BUT we've got a lot of intersecting stories and opportunities for stories in this realm so it's bound to happen at some point and I suppose that's okay. They can't ALL be gripping, amazing tales of heroism in spite of sheer terror.

On that note though one thing I don't really enjoy about the Dark Horse Comics Aliens 'universe' is how expansive it is becoming. There's no mystique surrounding the aliens anymore. There's no more mystery. It's not unusual to come across them. They're everywhere, and everyone has seen them and knows about them. There may even be action figures kids can play with, or saturday morning cartoons. There's very little suspense in that, nor do the comics seem to be trying to write suspense into their stories. It really devalues how horrifying it is stumble upon aliens on some distant planet or ship, because they're unknown.

Having said all that, I'd rate this 4/5 stars ****

Sorry, it was published in A Decade of Dark Horse #3, short story, September 1996, but you can get it as an eVersion here: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01662T7BS/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_UoWvFb2QXGF63

If you'd like to hear me read through it in under 11 minutes, here's THAT link.


Thanks all for stopping by. Feel free to follow me on Twitch.tv  to see more geeky goodness!


Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hotelcharlihill


'Like' the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/G5HPG/


Past VODs are all at my YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbnAX_Ux0w_WDU1ZqZjkMeg


And I also hope your conscience towards God has been stirred. You can ask Him questions at a website I'm still constructing - www.HeHasAnswers.com - and even read what I've written thus far regarding the irrefutable evidence of His existence (or LISTEN to a rough recording of that at my ministry YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCofXyXv8UBESJs08cg5OICA)


God bless you and good night!



Comments